Thursday, August 28, 2008

singularity |ˌsi ng gyəˈlaritē|
noun ( pl. -ties)
1 the state, fact, quality, or condition of being singular : he believed in the singularity of all cultures.
• a peculiarity or odd trait.
2 Physics & Mathematics a point at which a function takes an infinite value, esp. in space-time when matter is infinitely dense, as at the center of a black hole.
3 ( the Singularity) a point in the future (often set at or around 2030 A.D.) beyond which overwhelming technical changes (especially the development of superhuman artificial intelligence) make reliable predictions impossible.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Def. 3 is closer to things I've read about the concept of Singularity. But I have to ask if things have ever really been reliably predictable? Actually, I get the gist of it, but that is really what I thought when I read it.

Unknown said...

Definition 3 I find somewhat peculiar. I wonder how technology would unable us to make anymore reliable predictions. Maybe it's due to the fact that the more we rely on technology, the more we lose touch with the things around us. But it's odd because I feel like with the inability to make predictions, we'll be closer to the way we were long ago when couldn't predict things. It's almost as if our evolution, will come full circle.

I like the first definition more though. It's what I think about when I hear singularity. I think of the unification of a group. Not so much an occurrence, but a state in which we've come together.

Anonymous said...

When evolution selects its agents it does so at a cost. It makes demands in exchange for singularity and you may be asked to do something against your very nature. Suddenly the change in your life that should've been wonderful comes as a betrayal. It may seem cruel, but the goal is nothing short of self-preservation... survival.


This is a quote form HEROES... i just thought it was interesting that the concept of singularity is everywhere

Jacob said...

Isn't it amazing how one word can have such radically different meanings?
My favorite meaning is actually not even represented here. I will include it in the next post though.

Melanie said...

I'd love to read your favorite meaning, Jacob.