Saturday, September 13, 2008


"Unchristian."

At the conference this past week, I had the opportunity to talk with author David Kinnaman about his book, "Unchristian." I had read this book earlier in the year after Isaac Slade had recommended it to me. When we were on tour with the Fray, Isaac and I had developed a really cool friendship and many great conversations. He was surprisingly candid about his faith and his passion for God. It was really refreshing to hear him speak with open conviction about his love for God and to see him live that out on a daily basis.
So, one day he was telling me about this book and why it was important. I finally got around to reading it and he was right. It is important. It is really important.

Here is a brief interview with David that describes what the book is about. Have any of you read it?

6 comments:

Jecca said...

I haven't read this book yet, but I really want to. God's been presenting me with the message David describes numerous and literally countless times in the last year. It seems to be coming to a culminating point and my eyes have been opened to changes that need to be made in my own life and in the global church body, particularly in the US. I began reading the new books by the Ludys that continues to emphasize this ("Set-Apart Femininity" by Leslie Ludy and "The Bravehearted Gospel" by Eric Ludy). Really powerful and honest stuff.

Amber said...

Another good book similar to that is Revolution by George Barna, or Red Moon Rising by Pete Greig... lots of books are like that, actually, and all with the same great purpose.

Melanie said...

I haven't read the book, but the interview did pique my curiousity. I will have to add that to my growing list. I am slowly, but surely getting some reading done.

yuko said...

I'm interested in this book. I'm not a christian but I took the Bible class when I was in college. If this book is written in Japanese, I want to read it right now.

Melanie said...

I just bought the book last night at Barnes & Noble. I forgot my books at home, and I needed something to read in AZ. :) I haven't gotten far yet, but what I have read definitely has my interest. I think the assesments even in the beginning of the book jive with what I see. I actually wish I would have read this before Friday - I could have used it. LOL

Ethan said...

I read and enjoyed the book, but it's interesting the way the questions were worded, almost as if they WANTED people to say something bad about Christianity.

However, having been educated in a Christian school has shown me plainly that Christians do need to "chill out a little".

Take for example, all this election talk. I've heard things like "Barack Obama is the Antichrist", and "He's a Muslim," "He's endorsed by Hamas," and things like that.

I always respond, "How about this? He wants to tax the rich into oblivion and give it to the poor, and he opposed the Illinois Born Alive act!"

I think it embarrasses us when we in the Church get away from issues and rely on insults and buzzwords to share our faith.